Saturday, April 20, 2013

First Soccer Game.

Don't be fooled by that cute face, there is a story that follows.

These pictures were taken last Thursday right before Truman had a soccer clinic with the Wasatch High School soccer tearm.  He told me "this is how soccer players stand for pictures."
I am not sure where that idea came from, but we went with it - its cute.

He played and played and player with the ball until all the kids and coches showed up - then he wanted NOTHING to do with playing soccer.  I have to admite, I had one of those parenting moments.  I didn't know what to do.

He has been asking to play soccer for over a year, he is finally old enough and then today he asked about a zillion times it was time for soccer practice.  He was so excited to get his gear on and go - we were even 20 minutes early!

Then when it came time to listen to the high school kids and do drills, he wanted nothing to do with it.  
Whether he did the drills or not didn't really matter - they were just for fun for the kids playing in the rec league that stared today.  It felt to me like he was not participating because he didn't want to do what he was told by the high schoolers.  That to me felt like I had a child who was acting entitled.  I had all those thoughts running through my mind,

"I have raised a child who feels entitled" "Maybe I am being to hard, he is only 4" "We just paid money for this, and bought all the gear and now he won't play" "Maybe he is just tired" "Maybe the sight of hundreds of kids is just to overwhelming" "Maybe I have raised a spoiled child" "Maybe he is not feeling well"
After lots of tear from Truman and what felt like lots of humiliation {because I was the mom with 'that' child'} he was finally able to tell me he felt really tired.  

At 5:50 PM as I was pulling out of the high school parking lot BOTH kids fell asleep.
When we got home I took them out, put PJ's on them and put them in bed - they slept through it all.
He woke up 14 hours later a new little boy!

I think he was tired!
 Fast forward to today - it was his first game and we had NO idea what to expect out of him.
In true Utah spring-like fashion it was cold and snowing!  But he ran out on the field and played like a champ the entire game {we were missing one little boy and one little girl would not play so we had no substitutes}.

He is pictured above with one of his buddies, Lance from Sunbeams who is on the team.
Here is a pretty funny little video of them falling over each other.
Lance has a little brother Hank who is Bodie's age.  They had a blast eating the half-time snacks and drinks while their older brothers played.

I think it is going to be a fun season!

No comments:

Post a Comment