Thursday, June 30, 2011

juror.

I just had the most interesting week {which I could not blog about until now}.  I was called to jury duty and selected to be a juror out of 75 people.  I know what you are thinking, a nursing mother?  Being on jury duty is inconvenient for everyone; this judge would not dismiss even a nursing mother.  

Gregg was awesome.  He totally played to roll of "mother" all week.  I had to be at the court house at 8:30 AM every morning and was gone all day.  Every few hours he would load both the boys in the car and drive them to the court house so I could nurse Bodie.  Sometimes I could not even see Gregg.  He would hand Bodie to the bailiff and the bailiff {the sheriff in this case} would bring me Bodie and I would nurse.  It was very inconvenient - but we survived.

The case was an alleged rape.  It was a really sad case of an LDS girl who said she had values and standards but didn't show that by her actions.  She just kept going further and further with the guy until one night it went too far.  She accused him of rape because she had previously stated her values.  We found the guy innocent of the charge of rape and fornication.  She was equally responsible for what happened.  

I feel like I have learned a lot of really valuable lessons from this experience.  I learned a lot about the court system {like the fact that because this was a criminal case all the jurors had to agree on a verdict}.  I felt like I did my civic duty!  But I also feel like I learned first hand about the importance of the values that we are taught and trying to teach our kids {or our young woman or young men, etc.}.  The alleged victim kept saying she had standards and values - but she did not show that by her actions {and that does not justify the behavior}.  She went against so many of the values in the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet and that got her in trouble.  She was saying one thing but doing another.  And unfortunately instead of just taking care of her mistake {repentance} she was trying to blame others for what happened.  I truly hope that both parties are able to get over this trial and move on with their lives.  

4 comments:

  1. I've been called for jury duty twice, but in both cases I had just moved out of the state and obviously didn't qualify anymore. Most other states they'll excuse nursing mothers. Maybe there are too many in Utah, so it isn't a valid excuse. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy that being a nursing mom isn't enough to be dismissed. But it is Utah :) I've been summoned 4 times. Recently for ID. That couldn't work for obvious reasons.
    This is a sad case. You are so right. She should have taken responsibility and used the repentance process instead of blaming. It's also too bad that she didn't use those good standards she was taught to avoid the situation all together.
    Go Gregg for being super dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience! When you said you were up to something, I was so not expecting this! I'm with linz with Gregg being a super dad! Good for you too. I was sad to read about the situation of this girl. Did her parents push her to press charges? All I could think was that she might have been pushed to do this because when she told her parents she wasn't completely honest. Like I know the situation, but it is so sad either way. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sad case! i've been summoned for jury duty too. i completed the deferral form, but i have yet to hear back from them, so i still don't know if i have to show up. hopefully my 'mother of 18 month old twins' status will get me out. i wouldn't mind serving jury duty, but it seems like a 'seasons of life' thing. right now is just really bad for me. there is no way matt could take the boys while i served (he works 12 hour days and travels 3 days a week) and i can't afford to pay someone to watch them while i go in. we'll just have to see...

    ReplyDelete