Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cafe Rio Dinner.

We love Cafe Rio - who doesn't?
Over the years I have collected several "cafe rio" recipes so I decided I wanted to widdle them down to my favorites.  This was the perfect weekend to make a big meal - McKay got his wisdom teeth out so we needed to fill him up before going under.
Cafe Rio Pork
(easy quick recipe)
3 pounds Pork Roast
1 8 ounce can Dr. Pepper (don't use diet)
1 cup brown sugar
16 ounces salsa

Put it in a crock pot over night 10-12 hours on low.  Shred with a fork and allow it to sit in the juices until you are ready to eat it.

Cafe Rio Pork
(Sweet Pork Barbacoa)
4 pounds pork roast
2 8 ounce cans tomato sauce (or catchup)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups Dr. Pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-2 teaspoons cumin (optional - I am not a huge cumin fan so I put very little in)
red taco sauce

Lime Rice
2 cups Jasmine Rice
2 tablespoons butter
2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt
Juice of 2 limes
Zest of 1 lime
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Tomatillo Ranch Dressing
1 package Ranch dressing
1 cup sour cream (I used plain yogurt - or you can do half mayo half sour cream)
1 cup buttermilk
5 tomatillos husked, cleaned and chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
Juice and zest of 2 limes
1 jalapeno (or some green Tabasco sauce, yummy!)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Use a food processor to blend all ingredients together and refrigerate (its better if you make it a day early)

* I am a huge fan of this dressing at the restaurant but this recipe makes a TON of dressing - I always end up throwing a bunch out - I think I have decided its not worth making (and mine is always a little runny)

Green Enchilada Sauce

2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, minced
5-6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 green peppers, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and membranes removed
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked and quartered
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
4 cups chicken broth
2-3 teaspoons sugar

OR
Just buy this stuff, its amazing!








Pico de gallo
(I love this stuff)

6 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 to 4 fresh serranos or jalapeno
garlic powder
salt to taste
Crock-Pot Black Beans
(this is my own recipe)

2 cups black beans (about 1 pound)
8 cups water
3-4 bay leafs
Kosher salt
garlic

Soak the bean in the water over night, covered in your crock pot.  In the morning turn them on high and add the bay leafs, salt and garlic. I think I cook them about 4 hours on high, then turn them to low or warm until ready to serve.  Best flavor ever!
(if you don't eat them all you can then make black-bean soup or mash them up for a great baby food)




Homemade Tortillas

3 cups flour
2 teaspoons backing powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4-6 tablespoons shortening
about 1 1/4 cups warm water

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, add shortening.  Use a folk or a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening.  Next add the warm water - knead the dough for a few minutes.

Form about 12 small dough balls and let them rest for about 10 minutes.  Roll them to desired size/thickness and cook.
*Tonight was my first time making my own tortillas and I didn't think they were that great.  They tasted to floury to me and I couldn't get them thin enough.  Now that you can buy the pre made tortillas that you can cook fresh, I am not sure I would ever make them from scratch again (and besides, I can't roll out a circle to save my life).
Camille's Homemade Guacamole*
Avocados perfectly ripe
plain yogurt or sour cream  (I almost always used yogurt, now the secret is out)
tomatoes, thinly diced
yellow onion
red tabasco sauce (although I am kind of obsessed with the green tabasco sauce right now)
worchestire sauce
garlic salt
garlic, minced
lime or lemon juice (I like the flavour of lemon better in gucamole)
salt (Kosher or sea)
pepper

* I have been making this guacamole for years.  I don't know any measurements because I just make it based on flavor and that is what real cooks do! But now my secret is out, so you can make it too.
Bodie enjoying sitting up to the table like a big kid (love his highchair) and McKay filling up before starting his fast before surgery.




Dallin came up from Provo for the feast - not sure why we look so 'stiff' in this photo
I really dislike one o'clock church.  Bodie maxed out tonight - no nap today, and he has been taking TWO naps a day!  I was trying to change him from his church clothes to his pajama's when he freaked out about having his clothes taken off.  He proceeded to take off his diaper, throw a fit, and fall asleep in the middle of the great room.

No comments:

Post a Comment