Tuesday, August 3, 2010

bat.

Okay, these pictures need to be explained.  A little after midnight last night a bat flew into our master bedroom through our open deck door.  Gregg woke me up and asked what I thought we should do.  I told him I just wanted to sleep!

From our bed we watched the bat fly back and forth over our heads trying to decide what to do.  At one point Gregg thought it flew out of our bedroom and down the hall.  He jumped out of bed and slammed our bedroom door shut.  Gregg tried to Google "what to do when there is a bat in your bedroom".  It flew out of our room. We turned out the lights and tried to go to bed.

My mind started to wonder - I started to worry about Truman getting attacked and Nate turning into Edward.  Then I started to think about the bat pooping all over my house.  Then I heard it again right over my head! I screamed and Gregg flipped on the lamp to see the bat flying over our heads again.  We both screamed and hid under the sheets (no joke).  We got up the guts to run into the bathroom and shut the door.  Once safely behind the bathroom door we started to deliberate.
  


We decided to try and get the bat out.  We started throwing things at it, making noises, etc {the first picture shows what a mess our room was from throwing things at the bat}.  It was very comical.  At 2:30 AM I decided that we needed more help.  I ran upstairs and woke up a very delirious Nate.  Once he saw the commotion of the bat flying around and us chasing it he jumped right in.  First he grabbed our sheets and tried to barricade it.  That didn't work, the minute the bat started to fly toward him he hid under the sheets.  Finally we decided to take the screen off our window and try to get it to fly out the window (since it would not go near the door).  

That didn't work.  The bat kept flying back and forth in the bedroom.  Finally Nate started to chase it with an orange Home Depot bucket.  He ended up catching the bat mid-air in the bucket.  Once he did, he went out on our deck and chucked the entire bucket as hard as he could.  I hid safely behind the bedroom door taking pictures the entire time.  It was seriously the most comical thing I have witnessed in a long time.  

Our heart rates were so high after all the commotion that non of us could get back to sleep.  So at 3:00 AM we turned on Batman Returns.  We were seriously creeped out by the opening bat scene!

11 comments:

  1. Oh this is AwEsoMe!! I can totally picture it. I hate getting woke up and then not being able to sleep again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille! How traumatic. This happened to us growing up in P.C. and we finally caught it in a fishing net, but it got so tangled up we had to cut it out--EWWWWW!!!! --with gloves on of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats hilarious. Thanks for the good laugh. At first when you said bat I was thinking someone through a baseball bat through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camille,
    That is so hilarious. Brought back great memories of being at my Aunt Garna's cabin in Island Park. It is huge with really high vaulted ceilings and we were having a family reunion there. At some point during the evening a bat was discovered way up high on one of the walls. The same commotion started as you described with everyone coming up with ways to get the bat out. You know how guys are conquerers!! They finally resolved to killing it with a bb gun. I couldn't believe they were shooting a gun inside the cabin. You brought back some great memories for me. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha - that is a funny story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading this, I'm never leaving our deck door open ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol. So glad that didn't happen to us when we had our door open when we stayed!
    Glad you didn't get turned into a vampire :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the stories I could tell about bats and other winged creatures and someone who I know very well that has a phobia about flying things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so funny! I'm sitting here still laughing. I'm picturing Tommy Boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny! I hate bats! I would have hidden under the covers and made Zane take care of it while I screamed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, at one of my jobs we had bats in the building--they nested in the attic and we were on teh floor right beneath them--it was so scary.

    You HAVE to find The Office episode with the bat in their office--you will not stop laughing! Look on hulu.com . . . I will try to find you a link.

    ReplyDelete