Tuesday, September 2, 2008

shingles.

(and it's not the kind you will find on your roof...)



Sunday afternoon I discovered this weird cluster of what I thought was bug bites on my right torso. On Monday evening my brother-in-law took a look and diagnosed me with shingles. I immediately started reading on webmd.com about shingles. This morning I went to the dr. and he confirmed it with one quick look that indeed, I have shingles.

What Causes Shingles?
- Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox.
- If you've had chickenpox (over 90% of US adults have), the virus remains in your body and can cause Shingles.
- The chickenpox virus stays inactive in certain nerves.
- If the virus becomes active again, usually later in life (after 60), it causes the painful disease called Shingles.

How Do You Get Shingles?
- You are at risk for getting Shingles if you have had chickenpox. In addition:
Conditions that weaken the body's immune (defense) system, such as aging, cancer, or certain drugs.
- There is no way to predict who will get Shingles, or when.
- About half of the nearly 1 million Shingles cases in the United States each year occur in people aged 60 years and older.

I don't want to post a picture of what the 'chickenpox's' look like (they are nasty), but if you want to see click HERE.

So, it is a bit random that I got shingles at age 26...my dr. thinks it's because of stress. I am on 500mg of famciclovir three times a day. Today it wiped me out. I have been in bed since 7 (and I took two naps). Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Random!